A year ago, #saveSJAC won.
And then Trump was elected.
But because of you and the thousands of others who believed in a long-term place for movement-building in Portland, we were here. A go-to resource for people organizing — from immediate street actions and community check-ins, to the long resistance.
And we’re still here. We’ll be here for the next uprising, the next creative crisis. And we’ll be here for the many long moons in between, the regular work of learning, growing, and crafting radical cultures.
Over the last year, with further investment by community members, we refinanced the mortgage — making the building financially secure for the long term. We also negotiated ongoing leases with the low-income residents that ensures their stability and rights. And maintained a consistent, respectful food cart tenant in the kitchen.
With that, combined with regular donors contributing monthly, we’re now able to make our grassroots event space available regardless of means!
Thanks to you.After all, while there’s a crew of folk that volunteer for SJAC, really it’s all of us that make this possible. From the extraordinary, wide-ranging groups that use the space, clean it, love it, and mobilize it in their communities, to the far-off allies that care enough to “share” on social media, do behind-the-scenes support, or mail a check.
In the coming year, we’ll be further growing our monthly SJAC events bringing groups together, continuing to add to the murals on the walls and beautifying the space, and deepening our ties with “Root” organizations that anchor us in frontline communities.
Because it takes all of us.
¡Si, se puede!
–SJAC coordinating committee
A partial list of the amazing groups using the space:
- NW Council of Water Protectors
- Casa Wovoka – Native NA
- Outside the Frame
- Right 2 Survive
- Somali Immigrant Know Your Rights Project
- Disability Art and Culture Project
- Keys, Beats, Bars
- Demand Utopia
- Portland Assembly
- Northwest Alliance for Alternative Media and Education
- Soil No Toil Coalition
- Obo Addy Legacy Project
- Portland DSA
- Portland DSA feminist branch
- KBOO Community Radio
- 350 PDX
- Portland Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee
- Democracy Spring
- Portland Anarchist Black Cross
- Portland Prisoner Support
- Oregon Jericho
- Rose City Redneck Revolt
- Anarchist Assembly
- women of color for racial justice
- Portland Tenants United
- Jacobin Reading Group
- City Repair
- Portland Students United
- Portland Underground Grad School
- SPEEC Portland
- Oregon Tradeswomen
- Portland National Lawyers Guild
- People’s Platform
- Stroll PDX
- Homeless Youth Law Clinic
- Portland People’s Coalition/Radical Action for Democracy
- Run Rip City Reading Group
- Portland Socialist Alternative
- Don’t Shoot PDX
- SUN Family Leadership Team
- Peace and Justice Works
- PDX Solidarity
- Campus Compact of Oregon – AmeriCorps Vista