All around us, community institutions are under threat.
But because of you and the thousands of others who believe in a long-term place for movement-building in Portland, SJAC remains. A go-to resource for people organizing — from immediate street demonstrations and community check-ins, to the long haul.
We’ll be here for the next upswell, the next creative crisis. And we’ll be here for the many long moons in between, the regular work of learning, growing, and crafting grassroots cultures.
By combining forces. Our volunteer-run nonprofit activities provide the bulk of our moderate financial needs: we provide low-income housing upstairs, a community kitchen and an event space downstairs, and weave it together with committed volunteer coordination and maintenance.
But to keep it going, and to keep it available to those of limited means, we need your help. Whether as regular donors contributing monthly, or by giving when you can, we can keep going!
Thanks to you.After all, while there’s an awesome crew of folk that do SJAC’s daily work, really it’s all of us that make this possible. From the extraordinary, wide-ranging groups that use the space, clean it, love it, and mobilize it in their communities, to the far-off allies that care enough to “share” on social media, do behind-the-scenes support, or mail a check.
In the coming year, we’ll be further growing our monthly SJAC events bringing groups together, continuing to add to the murals on the walls and beautifying the space, and deepening our ties with “Root” organizations that anchor us in frontline communities.
We’d love your help. Use the space. Volunteer. Spread the word. And, please donate if you can.
Because it takes all of us.
¡Si, se puede!
–SJAC coordinating committee
A partial list of the amazing groups using the space:
- NW Council of Water Protectors
- Casa Wovoka – Native NA
- Outside the Frame
- Right 2 Survive
- Somali Immigrant Know Your Rights Project
- Disability Art and Culture Project
- Keys, Beats, Bars
- Demand Utopia
- Portland Assembly
- Northwest Alliance for Alternative Media and Education
- Soil No Toil Coalition
- Obo Addy Legacy Project
- Portland DSA
- Portland DSA feminist branch
- KBOO Community Radio
- 350 PDX
- Portland Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee
- Democracy Spring
- Portland Anarchist Black Cross
- Portland Prisoner Support
- Oregon Jericho
- Rose City Redneck Revolt
- Anarchist Assembly
- women of color for racial justice
- Portland Tenants United
- Jacobin Reading Group
- City Repair
- Portland Students United
- Portland Underground Grad School
- SPEEC Portland
- Oregon Tradeswomen
- Portland National Lawyers Guild
- People’s Platform
- Stroll PDX
- Homeless Youth Law Clinic
- Portland People’s Coalition/Radical Action for Democracy
- Run Rip City Reading Group
- Portland Socialist Alternative
- Don’t Shoot PDX
- SUN Family Leadership Team
- Peace and Justice Works
- PDX Solidarity
- Campus Compact of Oregon – AmeriCorps Vista